Intro to Tableau Prep
Get up and running with Tableau Prep, and complete hands-on projects to learn how to combine, shape, clean, and prepare raw data for analysis.
Tableau Prep is a self-service data preparation tool, with visual and intuitive tools for combining, shaping, and cleaning raw data for analysis.
This course explores each stage of the Tableau Prep workflow; connecting to sources, examining and filtering data, applying operations and custom calculations, joining and pivoting tables, and sharing data outputs.
Throughout the course, you’ll be playing the role of Data Analyst for Maven Charter Schools, an up-and-coming private institution. Your role is to use Tableau Prep, and the skills you learn throughout the course, to prepare data from a variety of sources, including teacher pay, SAT scores, graduation rates, and more.
You'll learn how to connect and configure sources, apply operations for grouping, splitting and cleaning data, create custom LOD and analytic calculations, and use tools to join, aggregate and transform tables.
Finally, you'll review options for saving, updating, and publishing data outputs, along with tools to automate and share flows built with Tableau Prep.
Whether you’re an aspiring BI professional or just looking to take your Tableau Prep skills to the next level, this is the course for you.
5.5 hours on-demand video (9.5 CPE credits)
5 homework assignments
2 skills assessments (1 benchmark, 1 final)
- Welcome to the Course!
- Benchmark Assessment
- Course Structure & Outline
- DOWNLOAD: Course Resources
- Introducing the Course Project
- Setting Expectations
- Meet Tableau Prep
- Tableau User Roles
- Downloading Tableau Prep
- Tableau Prep Workspace
- Visual Dictionary
- Example Flow Diagram
- PRO TIP: Data Design
- QUIZ: Introducing Tableau Prep
- Connecting to Data
- Data Connection Types
- Data Connection Examples
- Wildcard Unions
- PRO TIP: Input Joins
- Input Cleaning
- Text Configuration
- Data Sampling
- Refreshing Data
- ASSIGNMENT: Connecting to Data
- SOLUTION: Connecting to Data
- QUIZ: Connecting to Data
- Examining & Filtering
- Data Types & Sizes
- Value Distribution
- Finding Fields & Values
- Sorting & Moving Profile Cards
- Filtering Methods
- ASSIGNMENT: Examining & Filtering
- SOLUTION: Examining & Filtering
- QUIZ: Examining & Filtering
- Operations & Calculations
- Value & Field Operations
- Clean Step Layouts
- PRO TIP: Pausing Data Updates
- Value Operations
- Value Operations | Clean
- Value Operations | Manual Grouping
- Value Operations | Automatic Grouping
- Value Operations | Split Values
- Value Operations | Edit
- Value Operations | Convert Dates
- Field Operations | Field Types
- Field Operations | Data Roles
- Field Operations | Cleaning
- Calculated Fields
- Level of Detail Calculations
- Analytic Calculations | Rank
- PRO TIP: Copy & Paste
- PRO TIP: Reusable Flow Steps
- ASSIGNMENT: Operations & Calculations
- SOLUTION: Operations & Calculations
- QUIZ: Operations & Calculations
- Combining & Pivoting
- Combine Data | Union
- Union Results & Common Issues
- Combine Data | Aggregate
- Combine Data | Join
- Join Results & Common Issues
- PRO TIP: Organize your Flow
- ASSIGNMENT: Combining & Pivoting
- SOLUTION: Combining & Pivoting
- QUIZ: Combining & Pivoting
- Sharing & Updating
- Saving Flows
- PRO TIP: Preview in Desktop
- Creating Local Extracts
- Saving to External Databases
- Creating Published Data Sources
- PREVIEW: Tableau Prep Conductor
- ASSIGNMENT: Sharing & Updating
- SOLUTION: Sharing & Updating
- QUIZ: Sharing & Updating
- Final Assessment
- Course Feedback Survey
- Share the love!
- Next Steps
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE?
- Analytics or BI professionals who need to wrangle and prep raw data
- Aspiring data professionals looking to add Tableau skills to the resume
- Anyone seeking to learn one of the industry's most popular data prep tools
WHAT ARE THE COURSE REQUIREMENTS?
- Tableau Prep (free 14-day trial, then $70/mo)
- Experience with Tableau Desktop a plus, but not required
WHAT ARE THE COURSE OBJECTIVES?
Identify basic Tableau Prep functionality, including input, clean, join, aggregate, pivot, join, union and output steps
Identify common Tableau Prep tools and use cases for cleaning fields, including filter, clean, group, and duplicate actions
Identify common data calculation functions, including Fixed LODs, rank, analytic, logical, date and string
Identify examples of combining data using joins, unions and merges
Identify data transformation tools including aggregate and pivot steps and their impact on data structure
Identify and interpret key Tableau Prep output types including local files, published data sources, and database ingestion
CPE ACCREDITATION DETAILS:
CPE Credits: 9.5
Field of Study: Information Technology
Delivery Method: QAS Self Study
Maven Analytics LLC is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
For more information regarding administrative policies such as complaints or refunds, please contact us at email@example.com or (857) 256-1765.
*Last Updated: December 1, 2021
Start learning for FREE, no credit card required!
Every subscription includes access to the following course materials
- Interactive Project files
- Downloadable e-books
- Graded quizzes and assessments
- 1-on-1 Expert support
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Verified credentials & accredited badges
Ready to become a
Start learning for free, no credit card required!