MySQL Data Analysis
Learn how to explore and analyze relational databases with MySQL, complete hands-on assignments, and solve real-world business challenges.
Not Sure Which COURSE or PATH is right for you?
Take our customized survey to find the perfect courses & paths for your skill level and goals!
MySQL is a powerful tool for managing and analyzing relational databases, and a skill that every analyst and BI professional should have in the arsenal.
In this course, you'll play the role of a business owner who just acquired Maven Movies, a brick and mortar DVD rental shop. Using only a MySQL database, your job is to learn everything you can about your new business, including inventory, staff, and customer behavior.
We'll start with a quick intro to the SQL language, address some key database fundamentals, and use MySQL to select, filter, sort and group data from individual tables. From there we'll shift into more complex use cases, and blend data across multiple tables with JOIN queries.
If you're looking for a hands-on, practical guide to learning data analysis with MySQL,** this is the course for you.**
- Welcome to the Course!
- BENCHMARK ASSESSMENT
- Course Structure & Outline
- DOWNLOAD: Course Resources
- Introducing the Course Project
- Setting Expectations
- Why Learn SQL
- Brief History & SQL Flavors
- MySQL Installation Overview
- MAC Download: Community Server + Workbench
- PC Download: Community Server + Workbench
- Connecting Workbench to the Server
- MySQL Workbench Interface
- Creating the Maven Movies Database
- QUIZ: MySQL Intro & Setup
- Getting to Know the Database
- The Big 6
- The SELECT Statement
- The FROM Clause
- SELECT * FROM
- The USE Statement
- Selecting Specific Columns
- SELECT DISTINCT
- The WHERE Clause
- Common WHERE Operators
- Combining WHERE & AND
- Combining WHERE & OR
- Combining WHERE & IN
- The LIKE Operator
- LIKE Wildcard Examples
- The GROUP BY Clause
- PRO TIP: Using Comments & Aliases
- Multiple Dimension GROUP BY Clauses
- Aggregate Functions
- The HAVING Clause
- The ORDER BY Clause
- RECAP: The Big 6
- QUIZ: Single Table Analysis (PART 1)
- The CASE Statement
- Common CASE Operators
- PRO TIP: Pivoting with COUNT & CASE
- COUNT & CASE Demo
- QUIZ: Single Table Analysis (PART 2)
- Mid-Course Project Intro
- SOLUTION: Mid-Course Project
- Normalization & Cardinality
- Relationship Diagrams
- Multi-Table Querying
- Reviewing the Maven Movies Database
- Common JOIN Types
- INNER JOIN
- LEFT JOIN
- RIGHT JOIN
- LEFT vs. INNER vs. RIGHT JOIN
- FULL OUTER JOIN
- PRO TIP: Bridging Unrelated Tables
- Multi-Condition Joins
- The UNION Operator
- QUIZ: Multi-Table Analysis
- Final Project Intro
- SOLUTION: Final Project
- FINAL ASSESSMENT
- Next Steps
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE?
- Analysts or BI professionals looking to quickly retrieve or analyze data stored in relational database systems
- Excel users looking to shift into a broader BI-focused role
- Anyone seeking to learn one of the world's most popular database programming languages
WHAT ARE THE COURSE REQUIREMENTS?
- MySQL Workbench and Community Server (we'll walk you through the install process)
- Experience with database fundamentals encouraged, but not required
Are you ready to become a DATA ROCKSTAR? Start learning today with your FREE 7-Day trial!
Every subscription includes access to the following course materials
- Interactive Project files
- Downloadable e-books
- Graded quizzes and assessments
- 1-on-1 Expert support
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Verified credentials & accredited badges
Ready to become a
Sign up today for a 7-Day Free Trial and start learning today!