Intro to Tableau Desktop
Get up and running with Tableau Desktop, and learn how to connect, analyze and visualize data while building real-world projects and dashboards.
Not Sure Which COURSE or PATH is right for you?
Take our customized survey to find the perfect courses & paths for your skill level and goals!
Tableau Desktop is one of the most popular data visualization platforms in the world, and a critical skill for analytics & BI professionals.
This course is a hands-on, project-based introduction to Tableau, designed to teach you how to connect, analyze and visualize raw data with real-world, practical case studies.
You'll be playing the role of a newly hired analyst for Maven Supplies, a cutting-edge office supply store looking to bring the sizzle back to copy paper and sticky notes. Your mission? Use Tableau Desktop to design and deliver an executive-level BI dashboard, from scratch!
We'll start with a quick intro to the Tableau platform and community, then connect and transform our first dataset. From there we'll explore sorting, filtering and grouping tools, build and format visuals, define custom calculations and parameters, and finally tie it all together with dynamic, interactive dashboards and stories.
If you're looking for a hands-on, practical guide to getting up and running with Tableau Desktop, this is the course for you.
- Welcome to the Course!
- BENCHMARK ASSESSMENT
- Course Structure & Outline
- DOWNLOAD: Course Resources
- Introducing the Course Project
- Setting Expectations
- The Tableau Platform & Community
- Download & Settings
- Tableau Desktop Interface & Workflow
- Helpful Resources
- Data Connection Types
- The Data Source Page
- PRO TIP: Data Interpreter
- Unions & Joins
- Transforming Data
- Live Connections vs. Extracts
- Extract Options
- Saving Options & File Types
- QUIZ: Connecting to Data
- HOMEWORK: Connecting to Data
- SOLUTION WALKTHROUGH: Connecting to Data
- The Sheet Layout
- Dimensions & Measures
- Discrete vs. Continuous Fields
- Quick Visualizations
- Sorting Data
- Grouping Data
- Creating Sets
- Creating Hierarchies
- Order of Operations
- Data Source Filtering
- The Filter Shelf
- Dimension Filters & Modes
- Context Filters
- Measure Filters & Modes
- Date Filters
- Action Filters
- QUIZ: Sorting, Filtering & Grouping
- HOMEWORK: Sorting, Filtering & Grouping
- SOLUTION WALKTHROUGH: Sorting, Filtering & Grouping
- Mark Types
- Getting the Viz you Want
- Marks Card Properties
- Stacking Marks
- The Pages Shelf
- QUIZ: The Marks Card
- HOMEWORK: The Marks Card
- SOLUTION WALKTHROUGH: The Marks Card
- Calculation Types & Syntax
- Calculated Fields
- Common Calculation Functions
- Aggregate Functions
- String Functions
- Logical Functions
- Date Functions
- Type Conversion Functions
- Level of Detail Expressions
- Table Calculations
- Addressing & Partitioning
- Table Computation
- The Analytics Pane
- QUIZ: Calculations & Parameters
- HOMEWORK: Calculations & Parameters
- SOLUTION WALKTHROUGH: Calculations & Parameters
- Dashboard Layout
- Tiled vs. Floating
- Dashboard Objects
- Dashboard Sizing
- Device Designer
- Automatic Phone Layouts
- Formatting Tools
- PRO TIP: Field Format Defaults
- Data Viz Tips to Live By
- QUIZ: Dashboards & Stories
- HOMEWORK: Dashboards & Stories
- SOLUTION WALKTHROUGH: Dashboards & Stories
- FINAL ASSESSMENT
- Next Steps
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE?
- Analytics or BI professionals who want to bring raw data to LIFE
- Aspiring data professionals looking to add Tableau skills to the resume
- Anyone seeking to learn one of the world's most popular self-service BI tools
WHAT ARE THE COURSE REQUIREMENTS?
- Tableau Public (free) or Tableau Desktop (we'll walk through the install)
- Experience with analytics tools or BI platforms a plus, but not required
Are you ready to become a DATA ROCKSTAR? Start learning today with your FREE 7-Day trial!
Every subscription includes access to the following course materials
- Interactive Project files
- Downloadable e-books
- Graded quizzes and assessments
- 1-on-1 Expert support
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Verified credentials & accredited badges
Ready to become a
Start learning for free, no credit card required!